Monday, October 22, 2012

Procedure, procedure

It's very difficult to believe that I've only been in Spain for a month; perhaps it's the lack of homework or the excess of days off, but it seems as though I've been settled in my apartment for quite some time.  This has been translating over to my work as well, because when I'm in class, I feel like I have to impress so much information on the students.  When I do this, I am of course forgetting that I still have eight more months to get to know them.  The best part of having been here a month is that I am finally more integrated in my classes, understand my role a little better, and am invited by some professors to give presentations or take over certain parts of the lesson.
What will be especially nice about this week is that I will be able to get back into my standard routine of three days worth of teaching.  The last couple of weeks have seen me miss days due to holidays or required trips to Murcia.  In regards to that trip, I was able to successfully get my NIE, the number which allows me to get a bank account, and should be able to finish my application for the TIE (the official card version) soon.  This morning I opened a bank account through BBVA and signed more papers than I can rightly remember. The neatest thing about banking over here (there isn't much, given the recession) is that along with a card they give you a booklet that you can use in ATMs.  Every time you withdraw or add cash using this booklet, the ATM prints the transaction, so now I am constantly aware of how little money I actually have.
In other news, I got to play tennis for the first time in a few months and was reminded of how tennis muscles aren't really used in everyday life.  My playing certainly wasn't pretty, but hopefully I can keep playing and maybe even get some work as a coach.

1 comment: