Saturday, January 29, 2011

Donning a Dress and Dominating El Castillo

Hello!  So, if you can't tell from the title, this morning I decided to climb to the top of El Castillo de Santa Bárbara...in a dress.
The path - coming down kind of hurt
Let me explain the dress: this morning, I woke to a cloudless blue sky and promises of temperatures in the 60's.  With that in mind, I decided to break out one of the summer dresses that I had brought - nothing too fancy, but more comfortable that jeans when it's warm.  Since I didn't go out last night, but rather slept my afternoon and evening away, I chose to explore Alicante a little more while my friends slept.
Favorite Spanish flower
This past Thursday, the Liberal Arts students were supposed to climb to El Castillo.  This past Thursday also happened to be the first day of rain we have had in our two weeks here.  Since no one wanted to climb through the steady downpour, Paco (our onsite coordinator) postponed the trip until this coming week.  I still plan on climbing to El Castillo on Tuesday with them to learn more about the history, but I also wanted to just take a walk without worrying about staying with a group of 20 American students.
When I finally reached the top (it's a fairly short but very steep path), I was rewarded with what I can only call breathtaking views.  I've never actually used that phrase so literally - there were several times during my excursion that I actually caught myself looking over the Mediterranean with my mouth open and my lungs still in my chest.
Main entrance

I know that this post isn't very long, but this last week consisted of finishing up our intensive language course.  I'm planning on walking through Barrio Santa Cruz tomorrow, so hopefully I can do another post then to detail how I spent the rest of my weekend.




Oh hey, I think this was in my program brochure




No comments:

Post a Comment